I am currently offering two programs: nutrition coaching and accelerated backpacking/hiking coaching. Please fill out the form at the bottom of this page to receive more information and to set up a complimentary call to find out if either of these programs is a good fit for you.
Why? I used to fuel my hikes and climbs with Doritos, Swedish Fish and Snickers. While in retrospect it is obvious that I wasn't optimizing my performance with good nutrition, I didn't even know where to start. I struggled for years with fatigue, poor performance, and an inability to lose pesky fat and gain lean muscle. I tried every "lifestyle" under the sun: paleo, primal, Whole30, gluten free, etc...
In my own health transformation, the one thing that I discovered is this: there is no perfect diet for everybody. We are all so unique and finding what works is an exciting journey. More importantly, it needs to be sustainable, delicious and nourishing. We need to learn how to fuel our bodies on and off the trail.
In the process of figuring out what works for me, I decided to take a course on nutrition in order to become a certified Sports and Exercise nutrition coach. I chose a program through a company called Precision Nutrition, because I truly felt that their values aligned perfectly with my own approach: habit based, no gimmicks and a completely sustainable lifestyle.
Last year, before ever deciding to offer coaching to any clients, I hired my own coach so that I could "test" the process. I'm sharing my before and after photos below - needless to say, I was convinced. The physical transformation has been pretty magical, but the experience went far beyond the surface - I was able to prioritize things like sleep, and my performance in the mountains has accelerated beyond my wildest imagination.
I am so thrilled an honored to be able to combine my love of hiking and the mountains and my knowledge of nutrition into one program.
A little bit about me:
- I have been a backpacking instructor since 2008
- I have nearly 2 decades of experience hiking and mountaineering
- I spent 8 years as a Park Ranger and served on a Search and Rescue Team
- I am absolutely OBSESSED with making adventure, at any level, accessible to everybody
This a private hiking/backpacking course - it is designed around your schedule and needs. This is perfect for busy professionals who need flexibility and want an accelerated course that doesn't require a massive time commitment.
What you will be able to do after working with me:
- Buy the right gear to suit your specific goals
- Pack appropriately for day hikes or backpacking trips in a variety of conditions without feeling overwhelmed by exhaustive "gear lists"
- Exercise smarter, not harder, to have proper conditioning for hiking and backpacking
- Fuel yourself properly, on and off the trail
- Pick hikes and destinations that are not ridiculously over-crowded
- Practice "Leave No Trace" ethics as a good steward of the wilderness
- Pack light and move efficiently on the trail without feeling demoralized by a 40lb pack
- Feel confident about planning your own backpacking trips